I’m working on developing some workshops for an event in Groningen this summer. It’s going to be very cool, so if you’re in NL in July and you enjoy sashiko (hint, hint!) than stay tuned! xx
Here are some workshops from the last year:
Autumn Leaves Garland // Oct 6 & 13
Come and hang out, drink hot cider, listen to music and visit while making this cozy Autumn Leaves Garland. You’ll make eight wool appliquéd leaves on tea-dyed muslin squares, hanging from a length of soft hemp string. Just the thing to make your living space cozy with soft, warm autumn hues.
Workshop will be held over two afternoons; Sunday, October 6 and Sunday, October 13th from 13h to 16h. Your project kit includes 16 wool squares, leaf pattern, pattern transfer paper, thread, tea-dyed muslin squares and hemp string.
What I’ll do:
- provide you with a project kit
- provide the instruction and support you need to complete your project
- provide you with snacks and cider
- host a lovely, stress-free and gezellig afternoon 🙂
What you’ll do:
- relax and enjoy yourself
- learn and practice the running stitch and the whip stitch
- appliqué wool shapes onto wool and cotton fabric
- meet some nice people
- go home at the end of our time together with a beautiful autumn decoration
- get a 10% discount on any additional supplies you purchase from the shop and pick up during class time
Who can come: This is a class for adults. Basic knowledge/experience with hand sewing is helpful but not necessary.
What to bring: Please bring a pair of slippers (if you’ve already got one) to maximize your comfort during class. Everything else will be provided.
Girls Night: Crafts & Tasting
Coming up on Friday, April 5th is the very first Girls Night: Crafts & Tasting event put on by the #girlbossgroningen group. You’ll have the opportunity to connect with and support nine local women entrepreneurs in Groningen and choose four of nine 25-minute workshops ranging from papercraft, stitching, tea and chocolate tasting and meditation. I’m proud to be part of this group and excited to experience our first event together!
Spring Blooms Wool Appliqué Garland
Last Fall I made one of these garlands with Ceylon tea-dyed muslin and colorful appliquéd wool felt leaves. I liked it so much that I’ve made another with spring flowers inspired by traditional Swedish, Polish and Hungarian traditional flower embroidery patterns. The muslin backing is hand dyed in nettle tea and is a soft, lovely neutral. The workshop fee includes a project kit and all the materials you’ll need to complete your garland. All you need to bring is a pair of sharp embroidery scissors! (I’ve got some for sale if you don’t have a pair) We’ll spend the afternoon together, enjoying tea and a light lunch & snacks, and you’ll leave with the skills and knowledge to inspire your own wool felt appliqué creations.
You’ll learn some basic sewing skills, like threading your needle and making knots in your floss, as well as:
- The best needles to use with the materials for this project
- How to “strip” your embroidery floss
- How to use a needle threader
- Basic embroidery and appliqué stitches
- Using freezer paper to transfer patterns onto wool
- Cutting, placing and basting your wool
Some experience with embroidery is helpful but not absolutely necessary. See you there!